Thursday, March 14, 2013

Will you forgive me?


I was watching Dr. Oz today and he had the Duggars(from 19 Kids and Counting a TLC show about a Christian family) on as special guests. When referring to their marriage Dr. Oz asked what their secret was to staying together and besides a once a week date night, where they thouroughly communicated to each other about raising their family and commiting to never calling each other names or putting each other down. They emphasized a simple yet humbling phrase they said to each other before the sun went down, if they were in a disagreement or upset.

"I was wrong, will you forgive me?"

Wow I thought. A simple phrase yet one with the power to soften even the hardest of hearts.

But really, why am I so shocked at how their words changed the situation. Proverbs 15:1 says, "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

This hit me hard, their could certainly be more of this humbling stuff in my life . More soft answers and less harsh words. I think a lot of times we get this idea that we're entitled to our negative emotions if we're right. That apologizing is about being wrong when in reality it is about our relationship. Keeping it strong and letting God work through it to make us more holy.

"Apologizing doesn't always mean that you're wrong and the other person is right. It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego."

We have to make every effort to draw nearer to Him, let Him change our hearts and cause us to desire showing humbleness to our loved ones and strangers for that matter.

Whether we are wrong or right being humble brings praise to his name and God uses it for his glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment