Monday, March 4, 2013

sometimes being right is all W-R-O-N-G



I started reading a new book (Peace Making Women) after hearing a friend encourage in the kindest most gentle way, "but, you want to be a peace maker.". She'll probably never realized how those words were exactly what I needed to hear. More and more I become aware of what it looks like to be a woman of God. You know the one with the gentle and quiet spirit. The one that rests in her God confidence.

I have always valued my intelligence its been my way of proving to myself I have worth. An argument arises and if I have an opportunity to prove a point away my mind works. I surprise myself at the lengths I'm willing to go to prove that I'm right about the silliest of things. And wow, have I been being convicted of it lately.

Probably because of the havoc it causes in my relationships with those I love the most. A silly attempt at trying to prove my point can and quickly does turn into full blown arguments at times. Tension with my family and friends isn't helpful it doesn't grow our relationships and it definitely isn't kingdom minded.

So I set out to see what the bible said about this matter of the heart and why I was feeling such a need for others approval and not resting in the fact that I already had all the approval I would ever need.

A few verses really hit home for me.
Ephesians 1:13-14 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.(I'm sealed with the promised Holy Spirit the one who is greater than all, seeking the approval of others is pointless)

Not to mention Jesus himself calsl us to live in peace with one another.
Matthew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Romans 12:18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

Now don't get me wrong it is crucial to stand your ground on things of importance, that God specifically sets us out and commands us to do. I'm not discouraging this by any means but simply asking you to examine what your standing your ground about and if its truly a matter worth standing your ground. For me after examining my heart I knew the Spirit had work to do in me because I wasn't seeking peace I was seeking approval.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

No comments:

Post a Comment