Wednesday, May 15, 2013

From a nanny I admire that


After reading a post from the blog: The Gray Matters titled To the Good People of the Grocery Store, With Love I was inspired to write this post. Why? Because it has become increasingly clear to me as nanny of a solid (8 going on 9 years), Parents who stick to their guns are exactly the kind of parents our children need! As did Mrs. Gray.

While her child was crying in the grocery store she shopped on and didn't give in to his tantrum, regardless of the thoughts and stares others were giving her and she has my applaud for that.

Like I said I have been a nanny for children for 8 years and one thing I know is that consistency is what works. They need to know they can't use other people to manipulate their parents into acting a different way or giving into them. You might say well her son was only a toddler but trust me when I say they learn that very very quickly and early.

It seems like parents these days have stopped disciplining which by the way means training and teaching and started pleasing. Which in my opinion sets their children up to fail in life. Life is tough sometimes and if we spend our whole childhood getting pleased by our parents we will expect that from everyone else too and that is just not reality.

When children who have been pleased all their life then, have to deal with difficulties in life they are ill prepared and likely unable to cope in a healthy way.

But let's focus on the positives of this method of parenting. At the end of the shopping trip Mrs. Gray's Son said, "Mom, I'm sorry for hitting. I will make better choices next time." Wow I can't imagine how rewarding that must have been for her to hear. She did the right thing and guess what her son was responsive and learned from it. He learned that he could cry and throw a fit but, that wasn't going to change anything and he even came to the realization that he was wrong. Yes even little ones can assume responsibility. Trust me we underestimate them all too often.

Thank you Mrs. Gray for setting a good example for us all, I admire your parenting!

1 comment: